Here is a list from Money.cnn.com sharing 10 invest tricks to increase your portfolio.
1. Take the global view - Keep calm using a spreadsheet that emphasizes total net worth, not the changes in each holding.
2. Hope for the best, expect the worst - Being braced for disaster - by diversifying and learning market history - can help keep you from panicking. Intelligent investors stick with solid companies that hit rough patches.
3. Investigate, then invest - A stock is not just a price; it's a piece of a living corporate organism. Study the company's financial statements. Read a mutual fund's prospectus before you buy.
4. Never say always - No matter how sure you are that an investment is a winner, don't put more than 10% of your portfolio in it.
5. Know what you don't know - Don't believe you are already an expert. Compare stock and fund returns against the overall market and across different time periods. Ask what might make this investment go down; find out if the people marketing it to you have their own money in it.
To read the other five tricks to better investing, click here.